My Mom has been making banana pudding for me since I was super little. It’s always been the same, delicious banana pudding recipe, filled with whipped goodness and layers of fresh banana slices. Other banana puddings I’ve been treated to haven’t stacked up to this one; in fact, my husband used to think he didn’t even LIKE banana pudding, until he graciously tasted a small bowl of my Mom’s. I think we had been married about 3 years when he first tried it.
Did he like it? Well, let’s just say that she made a batch last week when she and Dad visited, and he’s eaten 60% of it by himself. Seriously. I got a few bowls in before I realized what he was up to and polished it off. (Between that and the Yo-Ho he discovered, I now know what to make for his birthday!) Even Scarlett digs Nonna’s banana pudding recipe. She sees us eating it and cranes over for her spoonfuls. More bananas, please!
The recipe is simpler than I ever knew, with only a handful of pre-made ingredients to make the whole thing go a little faster, and plenty of ripe bananas sliced up. Pro tip? Use a trifle bowl to display the goodness and your family will come running. Save the broken or chipped vanilla wafers for the interior of the pudding and it will look perfect!
Make sure when you’re shopping for ingredients to grab the INSTANT vanilla pudding. One time I grabbed the cook and serve and it was NOT easy to make. You can do use it, but you’ll waste a few hours waiting for the pudding to set and cool. Do yourself a favor and pay attention to the Jello aisle. Grab the INSTANT pudding!
Banana Pudding Recipe
Fluffy Banana Pudding
- 8-10 Bananas
- 1 12oz tub Cool Whip Topping
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4 box Vanilla wafers
- 1 14 oz can Sweetened Condensed milk
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 5.1 oz box Vanilla INSTANT jello pudding mix
- 8 oz tub cool whip (yes, another tub!)
- Peel and Slice Bananas into 1" pieces.
- Chill until served.
- In a large bowl with a mixer, mix milk into pudding mix, on low speed with a hand mixer.
- Add in vanilla extract.
- Mix in sweetened condensed milk, continue to mix well until combined.
- Set aside hand mixer.
- FOLD 12 oz tub of Cool Whip into pudding with a spatula. Do not use mixer.
- In a large trifle bowl, put in one layer of wafers, one flat layer of banana slices and top it with a layer of pudding.
- Repeat these layers until ingredients are finished. For an attractive look, use a clear bowl and add some "vertical" wafers.
- On top, add last layer of cool whip on top... typically some or most of an 8oz. tub will do.
Did you try this recipe? Leave me a comment below!!