I had the great pleasure of being invited by Minute® Rice to attend a party in Atlanta and was treated to some of the heavenly dishes our hosts prepared. “But it’s rice.” I thought. “How much can you really do with simple cook rice?” It turns out that you can do a TON. I was schooled! As an obvious demographic target for this make-your-life-easier product, I was treated to crunchy rice cakes nestled on a bed of greek-dressed greens, a delectable, hearty breakfast rice skillet topped with fried eggs and even miniature apple-rice tartlets with a crumby pastry crust. Honestly, I was floored. I was missing out on gourmet dishes being prepared in no time flat; this was something I needed to try at home!
I started to think about my favorite homemade dishes that included rice. My favorite childhood recipe popped into my mind immediately. Swedish Rice Porridge laborious to make, but glorious to consume. The age-old dish is a hearty, cultural favorite, but takes me over 2 hours to create just because of the traditional rice preparation and endless simmering. I made it as a young kid once a year (with Mom’s help!), and doubled my recipe to snack on all week because it was so difficult to make.
The Swedish-American pioneers used to make it over the course of an entire day and keep it warm near a banked fire overnight to enjoy the next morning; it can take that long to make! Since Minute® White Rice cooks in only 5 minutes, it will drastically reduce my cooking time and allow me to enjoy the Swedish Rice Porridge with a modern pace. Take a peek at my recipe below that turns an effortful dish into something any family can make during a busy morning (I time-tested it myself with a crying infant, so you know you can handle it, too!).
- 1 large apple (Gala, Fiji, Honeycrisp, etc.)
- 1 cup uncooked rice (such as Minute® White Rice)
- 1 cup water
- 3" cinnamon stick
- 3 cups milk
- 3 T sugar
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Honey to drizzle
- Cook the rice in a large saucepan according to package directions, adding in the cinnamon stick during cooking time.
- As the rice cooks, peel, core and chop the apple into very small pieces. Set aside.
- Pour the milk into the saucepan, and stir. Cook until milk begins to simmer. (If you warm up the milk before adding it, this dish will cook even faster.)
- As the milk simmers, add in the apple, sugar, apple and raisins. Stir to combine.
- Cover the saucepan and continue to simmer for 25 minutes. As it cooks, it will thicken up, so stir it once or twice.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir in the vanilla. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick.
- Serve the Swedish Rice Porridge drizzled with honey or topped with cream. Refrigerate leftovers.
For other recipe ideas, newsletters and special offers from Minute® Rice straight sent to your inbox, sign up for The Riceipe® Club. Thank you to Minute® Rice for sponsoring this yummy post and recipe ideas!