I’ll be the first to admit it. I hadn’t EVER seen Star Wars Episodes 5 or 6 before this year. In fact, I’d only watched 1-3 in the theatres with friends and made a pitiful attempt to watch Episode 5 over 20 years ago with the end result of a nap. It wasn’t really for me. But when Red discovered a Storm Trooper for the first time last year, it was the beginning of his Star Wars obsession. A little while later, we started watching Star Wars Rebels on TV (meant for elementary grade kids), found a Star Wars exhibit at Legoland, and eventually, Chase bought the original trilogy for us all to watch.
It was at that point that I finally got it. I understood the draw. The lightsaber battles, the creative storytelling, the sci-fi, futuristic awesomeness. I started to be drawn in to Red’s world of “Dark Vader,” Light “Savers,” and the spaceships that fascinated him. I learned backstories, catch phrases and began to have favorite characters… it was pretty awesome.
To help celebrate the release of Star Wars Episode 7, The Force Awakens, comes this fun Kylo Ren Cocktail for Mom and Dad to sip and discuss all the theories, storylines and plots of the film. A blend of tequila, grenadine and margarita mix makes for a spiky-sweet drink with a festive sugared rim.
So what do you think of the new movie? Is it destined to be a classic like the original trilogies, or does it have a sense of the later-made Episodes 1-3? Either way, discuss, debate and drink a round or two of the Kylo Ren Cocktail!
Kylo Ren Cocktail
- 3 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Luxardo Maraschino liqueur
- 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
- 3 oz Margarita mix
- 1 oz Cranberry Juice
- Simple syrup
- Black Sanding sugar
- On one appetizer plate pour simple syrup
- Pour back sanding sugar onto the other plate
- Dip glassware rims in the simple syrup and then in the sanding sugar. Let dry for 1 minute
- Fill each glass with ice 3/4 of the way full
- Combine Margarita Mix, Cranberry Juice and Lime Juice into a large vessel
- Pour 3oz Tequila, 1oz Luxardo Maraschino liqueur into each glass
- Top off each cocktail with Margarita and Juice mix