Sweetness is in the air! Valentine’s Day always makes me crave chocolate, sweets and bubbly drinks. There’s something about all the pinks, reds and snowy whites decorating every corner that makes me cheer up. It’s really the next best holiday to Christmas for all the yummy desserts that appear from nowhere! For a special treat, make these Valentine’s Day Muddy Buddies with your kids and pour cupfuls into beribboned cellophane bags to hand out.
As a twist on classic puppy chow, this Valentine’s Day snack mix combines Chex mix, chocolate, peanut butter, and seasonal conversation hearts. It’s easy, fun, and yummy to make!
- 9 cups Chex cereal (wheat, rice or corn)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 bag conversation heart candies
- Measure the cereal into a large bowl and set aside. Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- In a medium (microwave safe) bowl, melt together the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 1 minute, then stir. Continue microwaving in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal and gently mix until the cereal is all coated.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2 gallon ziplock bag and add the confectioner’s sugar. Seal the bag and shake until all the cereal is coated. This is super fun for the kids!
- Spread the cereal out onto the baking sheet to cool. Sprinkle dark chocolate chips and conversation heart candies throughout the mixture.
- Store in an airtight container.