Once cool weather sets in, I’m quickly pulling on sweatpants and dusting off my slow cooker. I start poring over my recipe books and Pinterest Menu Boards for my favorite cold weather favorites like Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread and Mom’s Homemade Tomato Soup. In fact, that creamy, organic tomato soup is the perfect pairing for a grilled cheese, and if you’re looking for a new twist on an old favorite, my Grilled Palmetto Cheese Sandwich Recipe.
This recipe follows the tried and true basic instructions with only a few tweaks, like mayonnaise! I know, I know, but hear me out. It’s only enough to make the bread not so dry. (I’ll spare you the “m” word).
Butter one side of your bread per the norm, and place it butter side down in your hot pan.
Put a dab or so of mayo on your sandwich’s “interior” walls. I have a UK friend that always has a coat of something like this in every sandwich!
Glob on that Palmetto cheese like your life depends on it. Make it thick, at least 3/4″ tall, all over your bread. Bonus points if your bread is made of Rye (this is the one instance where I enjoy Rye bread!)
Top your sandwich with another slice, buttered and mayo-ed, and grill to perfection. If you aren’t in the Southern US region, you might find Pimiento cheese at your grocer, which is very similar, with a slightly different texture and no subtle flavor kick. For an added bonus, add a slice of ugly tomato to your Sammy!
- 1 loaf fresh bakery bread
- Palmetto Cheese
- Slice fresh bread into 3/8" to 1/2" slices.
- Butter one side of the bread and add mayonnaise to the other side.
- Place the sandwich, butter side down, into a frying pan.
- Place a generous amount of Palmetto cheese onto the bread.
- Top with another slice of bread, buttered on one side and mayonnaise on the other, butter side up, into the pan.
- Heat each side of the sandwich on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat until you have the desired number of sandwiches.
- Serve warm with Homemade Tomato Soup: https://www.redheadbabymama.com/homemade-tomato-soup/
YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM! What are your favorite cold weather foods? Link them up!