Forget that Game of Throne saying… Summer is almost here! I’m in need of quick cooking, family-friendly meals with little clean up as the kiddos come home from school. Summer vacation means more family time, adventures, camps and even pool time. While I can get lazy with my cooking, this one-pot Steak and Herb Potatoes is an easy answer to dinner time!
One Pot Wonder
As you start your Mise En Place for this recipes, take a look at how to properly cut your steak or perhaps how to properly grill it if you choose to prep your steak beforehand (you can also use leftovers for your steak to save you even more cooking time!).
One Pot Steak and Herb Potatoes Recipe
One Pot Wonder Steak and Herb Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted sweet cream butter divided
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes sliced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp thyme chopped
- 1 tsp rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp oregano chopped
- 1 1/4 lb sirloin steaks cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 shake salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare a cast iron by heating it on medium heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add the olive oil, 1 Tbsp butter, potatoes, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and oregano and cook for 6 minutes. Stir every minute or two.
- When the potatoes are done, (test with a form to make sure they are tender) transfer the skillet contents to a plate and set aside.
- Return the skillet to medium heat.
- Add 1 Tbsp of unsalted butter and the steak bites.
- Let the steak bites sear for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Return the potatoes and herbs to the steak skillet and stir until warmed.
- Remove from heat and serve, topping with the remaining chopped herbs.
Steak and Herb Potatoes Wine Pairing
You’ll want to serve a red Bourdeaux, Cabernet or Merlot with this dish. These wines will blend nicely with the sirloin but not overpower the herbs in the neutral potatoes. I highly recommend a Malbec if you are tired of the same old red served up as house wines since it is what many Argentinians enjoy with their meals of steak!
Of course, you can throw caution to the wind and prepare this light and floral Stormy Night Cocktail instead of the traditional options!
If you need another presentation idea for your extra steak, try out these Demogorgon-zola Crostini inspired by Stranger Things. Tasty steak bites!